Wednesday, August 31, 2005

There's something not quite right with this...

Driving home from work last night I passed by a church (I think it's Lutheran, but that's really irrelevant) as I always do, and on their sign out front (a really nice electronic one) I see:

??? God...Why ???

Something about this really disturbs me. I know it's in reference to Katrina and all the devastation and suffering that has happened and continues along the Gulf Coast. And I know that that is a question that is probably on a lot of people's minds. But it seems to me that a church is a place that people turn to for comfort, solace, community and (right or wrong) for answers, especially in times of tragedy and crisis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash anyone's religion or faith or to get into a debate about why people turn to churches or religion. Even though I tend to eschew organized religion and can be very cynical when it comes to mainstream religion, I am a very faith-full and spiritual person, and I know the effects that faith and spirituality can have in people's lives regardless of their path.

Maybe I'm just projecting or reading into things, but to see a church put up a message of such seeming desperation really bothers me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home